Monday, May 30, 2011

Frozen Custard

Once in a while a piece of special equipment in the kitchen is warranted and this is one of those times. As the weather turns from warm to hot, ice cream has been on my mind. Especially when that ice cream happens to be frozen custard! Memorial Day Weekend always seems to be the beginning of summer in my mind and what better way to start summer than homemade ice cream. Simple and small ice cream makers are pretty easy to find and inexpensive now. They come with all the necessary equipment and you just place the base in the freezer a day ahead of time instead of using ice and salt as in old fashion versions.

I started off by scalding 2 cups of whole milk.



While the milk was on the stove, I mixed together egg yolks with vanilla sugar and salt. When my milk was scalded I very slowly poured it into my egg mixture while whisking.



Once all the milk was incorporated, I poured it all back into the saucepan and stirred in constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon.



I removed it from the heat once it was thickened and had just started to boil. I let it cool for about 10 minutes and then added in vanilla extract and heavy cream. I  poured it all into the base of my ice cream maker once it had cooled completely from being in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight.



Following the directions for my particular ice cream maker, I left it running until the custard was as thick as it was going to get in the machine.



Then I transferred it into another container with a lid and put it into the freezer to finishing freezing the rest of the way through.



Doesn't that look good! I promise it's really creamy too!

How about some frozen blueberries on top....



...Or hot fudge and sprinkles!



Hope Everyone had a Wonderful Holiday Weekend!


Frozen Custard

2 Cups Whole Milk
3 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Vanilla Sugar (Plain sugar is also fine)
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

Scald milk over medium heat in saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt. Very slowly whisk in scalded milk with egg mixture. Return back to saucepan and cook over medium heat while stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Mixture will thicken while it cooks and remove from heat just as it comes to a boil. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes and stir in cream and vanilla. Let mixture cool completely in refrigerator for several hours to overnight before pouring it into ice cream maker. Follow your manufacturer's directions for your ice cream maker. Once finished, pour into container with lid and store in freezer to finish setting up.





No comments:

Post a Comment