Sunday, May 1, 2011

Super Simple Chicken and Rice

Sorry I'm a day late, computer problems.....
Anyways, this dish is so simple I can't even believe I am posting it. But it is very tasty. There won't be an actual recipe at the end like my usual posts because I think this is more of a method. That being said, you can change it around a ton of ways using different rice mixes, broths, veggies or even using pork chops.

So I started off by chopping 1/2 an onion and 1/2 a green bell pepper and softening them over medium heat with some olive oil and salt and pepper.



Once they were starting to soften, I added in the dry rice and pasta mix of a box of Rice-A-Roni. Here is the box I used but you can use any flavor, brand or variety you like.




I stirred the dry rice mixture around in the pan to toast it a little bit then added in the seasoning packet and instead of water I used chicken broth. I followed the amount of liquid listed on the box directions. I then laid two frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top and sprinkled them with salt, pepper and dried thyme.



I covered my pan with a lid, turned the heat down to simmer and stirred it every few minutes to make sure the rice was not sticking to the pan. Once the rice was done (mine took around 28 minutes) I cut up  the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces (my chicken was also cooked through at this point) and stirred it back into the rice mixture. We had ours along side some steamed broccoli with cheese.



I hope you will try this version or come up with other versions yourself. It is a super simple method and great on those nights when you just need and want something simple to throw together for dinner. Just doing simple additions like these really jazz up a store bought rice mix. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment