Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sweets for the Sweet!

This Valentine's Day I made up a whole bunch of goodies to share with friends and family. And they were all pretty simple too!

I made dark and white chocolate chip cookies...



Cut-out sugar cookies that I decorated with butter cream....




I dipped some of my cut-outs in chocolate and decorated them with sprinkles and also made some buckeyes, a recipe from my friend Traci (Thanks again!!)...



Candied Pecans...



and finally, Rugelach!



The Rugelach will actually be next week's recipe. It was my first time making it and I am very happy with the way it turned out.

This week, I thought I would share my favorite recipe for cut-out sugar cookies. It is from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook and I love the way it turns out. The cookies don't puff too much and keep their shape nicely. It is the recipe that I used to make the snowflake shaped cookies on Samantha's First Birthday Cake also.

Mary's Sugar Cookie

1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar  
2 sticks butter   
1 egg 
1 tsp. vanilla    
2 1/2 Cup flour  
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Blend dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients by hand. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hrs. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough in half, roll out on lightly flour area to about 1/8 inch thick and cut out shapes. Bake 7- 9 minutes or until lightly browned.
*If dough is dry and crumbly and you are having a hard time rolling it out, stir in an addtional egg.

The butter cream frosting that I used to decorate the sugar cookies is the same recipe I used in Cupcakes at Tiffany's.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment