Monday, December 6, 2010

First Birthday

My daughter Samantha will have her First Birthday this Wednesday and we celebrated this past weekend. Instead of a recipe this week, I thought I would show off the birthday cake I made for her. It took me forever to come up with a design.......but once I did, I thought it would be perfect! It was important to me that everything used to decorate the cake be edible.


I made a vanilla bean frosting that I tinted light blue to frost the three tiers of french vanilla cake. I covered the frosting with white sanding sugar to look like snow and  pipped a white border around the bottom. Using a snowflake cookie cutter set, I cut snowflakes out of sugar cookie dough then frosted them and used the same sprinkles to decorate them.



The snowman is made out of rice krispie treats that I covered in fondant. His buttons, mouth, and eyes are rolled out of black fondant and his scarf made out of red fondant. His nose is an orange Tic-Tac.



Samantha seemed to like her cake!



And after the candle was out, she was ready to dig in!









From now until Christmas, instead of posting a dinner or dessert recipe once a week, I will be doing something a little different. I plan on doing a lot of holiday baking and treat making this year to make up gift bags  for some family and friends. I will be posting easy and simple treat recipes randomly throughout the weeks until Christmas. Many of these recipes are also fast to make since everyone is busy this time of year and perfect for give-a-ways and get-togethers. Some treats you can expect to see are Rosemary Spiced Nuts, Lemon Cookies, Puppy Chow and a few more! Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

  1. lemon cookies!!! holler!!!

    By the way, my bff is totally too cute to handle. She looks so adorable! And I obviously love you as well, that cake looks fab!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sams first birthday was so much fun.she is so lucky to have such a creative mom. cake was not only cute as could be but good eating also. as I have said before love that sam. happy first birthday Samantha Lynn. gradma

    ReplyDelete