Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Meatloaf

Over a month ago, my friend Traci asked me if I ever made meatloaf and if I liked it. I had to tell her no. There just has always been something about the texture that I have never cared for and my Mom's recipe called for horseradish which I hate. Traci said that she had found a great recipe for meatloaf a while ago and that anybody she ever gives it to just loves it. Boy was she right! I have made this meatloaf several times since then. I am totally converted and am now a meatloaf lover! Just as long as its this meatloaf, of course. She had found the recipe from Taste of Home which is a wonderful website and magazine if you have never heard of it before. Here is a link to the original recipe which I highly recommend you trying also as it does have a 5 star rating. I changed the recipe some to fit my family's tastes and preferences a little better and my variation follows. Try them both or come up with your own variation and share it because I think you will see its hard to go wrong with this meatloaf.

I started by softening a chopped onion in butter and added salt and pepper.


While the onion softened, I mixed ground beef in a large bowl with egg, milk, oats and cheddar cheese.



After the onion softened and cooled for a few minutes, I added it to my bowl and mixed everything together with salt and pepper.



Then I split the mixture into quarters and formed four loaves on a cookie sheet.



I mixed the sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, bacon bits and BBQ sauce. This is one thing that I have done differently from the original recipe since I first made it. The original sauce calls for mustard instead of BBQ sauce. I have tried to like mustard and I just can't.....So whenever I see it used, I usually find something to replace it with. After the sauce was mixed, I poured it over my little loaves.



I then placed it into a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. When they were done, they were all bubbly and brown and smelled sooo good!



We have plenty of leftovers with this and it reheats very nicely. I served ours up with peas and wild rice.



If you come up with any variations, please share them below so we can all try too! Enjoy!


Meatloaf

1 onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp butter
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 lb ground beef
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp BBQ sauce
1/4 cup real bacon pieces (not imitation)
salt and pepper

Soften onion in butter over medium to medium-low heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cool. In a large bowl combine onion, egg, milk, oats, beef, cheese, 1/2 tsp salt and a sprinkle of pepper. Divide mixture into quarters and form 4 loaves on a cookie sheet. In a bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce and bacon bits. Mix well. Pour sauce evenly over the 4 loaves and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45  minutes or until beef is done.


1 comment:

  1. MMMM!! So good. I actually made this and used bacon pieces like you suggested and I loved it!! thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete