Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

Can you believe I was a senior in high school before I ever tried sour cream? Yeah, I know....What was I thinking!? Ever since I first tried it, I haven't looked back and beef stroganoff is my favorite thing to make with sour cream. It starts off by chopping one onion and softening it over medium heat with butter and olive oil.


While the onion is cooking, I placed one pound of trimmed stew meat in a gallon zip-lock bag with flour and seasoning and shook it up.



After the flour mixture had the beef coated, I added it to the pan with onion and cooked it until the beef was golden brown then added some red wine and scrapped the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. The wine can be optional but I do recommend it and it isn't a lot that you are adding. It just helps give such a depth of flavor. The wine doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can be dry or sweet just as long as you like the taste of it. By cooking it down, you are concentrating it and there is no point concentrating the flavor of something you don't like.

After the wine cooked down and I scrapped all the yummy brown bits off the bottom (a very important step for flavor), I added beef broth and turned the heat down to a simmer for 45-60 minutes. In this time the beef should become tender and the liquid should reduce by half.


I had also added some Kitchen Bouquet for color. If you have never bought it before, it can usually be found around the BBQ sauce at the store.



Once the meat was tender and the liquid had reduced, I turned off the heat and stirred in the sour cream.


This picture makes it seem like I didn't have very much meat but its down in there swimming in that yummy sauce.

I cooked some egg noodles for us to spoon our stroganoff over. I actually made whole grain egg noodles and we like them very much!



This size noodle seems to work perfect for this dish. I also made honey butter crescent rolls! You ready for another recipe! They couldn't be easier!

Roll and bake a tube of refrigerated crescent rolls according to the package directions.



In a microwavable bowl, melt 2 Tbsp butter with 2 Tbsp of honey.



Stir the mixture together once it is melted and using a pastry brush, brush it over the crescent rolls when they are done and hot out of the oven.



When everything is done, make yourself a plate and enjoy!



Beef Stroganoff

1 onion, chopped
1 lb stew beef, trimmed
4 Tbsp flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine
4 cups (32oz) beef broth
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 Tbsp butter
olive oil
salt and pepper

Over medium heat, add butter and enough Olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. While onion softens, add beef, flour, thyme and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to a gallon Ziploc bag and shake till beef is coated. Add beef to pan and cook till beef is golden brown around the edges. Carefully add red wine and using a wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits off  the bottom of pan while wine reduces. Once all the brown bits have been scraped off, add beef broth and kitchen bouquet and stir to combine. Bring to a bubble and then turn down to a simmer leaving a lid off of pan. Simmer for 45-60 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. At about 45 minutes, start to check the beef. Sauce is done when beef is tender and the beef broth has reduced by about half. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream. Serve over egg noodles.


3 comments:

  1. Dan just said this week he wanted Beef Stroganoff, So at the store I bought a box of hamburger helper, I can NEVER make Beef Stroganoff that tastes good. So I'll have to definitely try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so good! Can't wait to try it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I miss you. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete