Monday, January 10, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

I first came up with this recipe shortly after my wedding and it seemed to be an instant hit. It has become my husband's favorite dish that I make. He just loves it and I hope you will love it as well.

It started off by browning one pound of ground beef with a chopped onion and bell pepper. I used an orange bell pepper just because that is what I had on hand.



After the beef was browned and the veggies were tender, I added frozen corn and a package of burrito seasoning.




I sprayed a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and layered in soft shelled tortilla to line the bottom. I cut each one of my shells in half but depending on what size you buy, you may have to cut some in quarters. Just make a single layer on the bottom, slightly overlapping each piece of shell. I'm using whole wheat tortillas in this version but any variety is fine.



I spooned in half the meat mixture.....



.....and sprinkled 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese over the top.



And repeated with a second layer.




I topped my two layers with another layer of tortilla shells and poured a can of enchilada sauce over the top.....



and sprinkled on some more cheese. I then placed it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.



When it was done baking, I let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it.

It is perfectly good by itself or......



you can add sour cream, a side of salsa and tortilla chips.




Mexican Lasagna

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (any variety is fine)
1 cup frozen corn
1 pack of burrito seasoning (taco seasoning would also work fine)
1/2 cup water
1 package soft tortillas shells (any variety or flavor)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 10oz can enchilada sauce

Brown and crumble ground beef on stove top with the onion and bell pepper. When beef is cooked through and veggies are tender, add in corn, water and seasoning pack. Stir to combine and turn off heat. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick spray and place in a layer of soft tortilla shells, cutting them as needed to fit the dish. Layer in half of meat mixture and sprinkle with one cup of cheese. Add another layer of tortilla shells as before, 2nd half of meat mixture and another cup of cheese. Add a final layer of tortilla shells and pour the enchilada sauce over the top, completely covering tortillas. Sprinkle on the last of the cheese and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

* I have also made this in a deep dish pie plate that was the same size as my tortilla shells. I would use only a third or quarter of the meat mixture in each layer (you end up with more layers this way) and then just use a whole tortilla shell without needing to cut it to fit.

1 comment: