Monday, October 4, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I have been on a real comfort food kick lately! Today's post is no different. With the weather getting cooler, I have been craving big pots of food bubbling away in a hot oven and the aromas drifting throughout the house. And who doesn't love a good chicken pot pie!

To start my chicken pot pie, I roasted 2 chicken breasts. These were bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. I put them skin side up on a cookie sheet, drizzled them with olive oil, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and put them into a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.


You don't have to start out by cooking chicken breasts though. You can use leftover chicken, a store bought rotisserie chicken, or any other means you can think of.  But I do recommend roasting chicken breasts this way when using them in something such as this pot pie. The meat turns out so juicy and moist which can be hard to do with white meat.

After I took the chicken out of the oven, I set it aside to cool while I started with the vegetables.  I chopped two carrots and one onion and cooked them over medium heat with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper.



As the carrots and onions cooked, I took the meat off the bone of the chicken breasts and discarded the skin. I shredded the chicken into big chunks and set it aside. After about 7 minutes the veggies were softened and I added flour and curry powder. I stirred to combine and added green beans, frozen peas, the shredded chicken and chicken broth. When this came up to a bubble, I poured it into a pie dish and let it sit for about ten minutes.



I always have the refrigerated pie crusts on hand. They are the ones that are rolled up, come two in a box, and can usually be found by the canned biscuits at the grocery store. I  keep them in the freezer and when I know I will be using one, I pop one in the fridge overnight to thaw. So after I let the filling sit, I simply unrolled one of the pie crusts over my filling. Fits perfectly!



I pressed the edge of the dough around the dish to seal it, crimped a pretty crust and cut a couple of slits into the top.



Then I beat an egg, brushed it over the top and sprinkled with salt and pepper.




I then placed my pot pie in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. When it came out it was puffed and bubbly and brown!


We just dished it out with a large serving spoon.....


....and we ended up dishing it all out! Enjoy!


Chicken Pot Pie
2 cooked chicken breast, shredded
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1- 14 1/2 can green beans, drained
1/2 cup frozen peas
1- 14oz can chicken broth
1 tsp curry powder
3 to 4 Tbsp flour
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
olive oil

Over medium heat, cook carrots and onions on stove top in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. After 5 to 10 minutes when veggies are softened, add curry powder and flour then stir. Then add green beans, peas, chicken, chicken broth and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring up to a boil so mixture can thicken and pour into a pie dish, let sit 10 minutes. Roll refridgerated pie crust over top and seal edges to make a crust. Cut a couple of slits in the dough for the filling to vent and brush dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place into a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until filling is bubbling and crust is browned.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!! I want to come over and eat this!! But wait---it's all GONE????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Srsly, I can't even bring myself to want to eat anything else today after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete