Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chicken Curry

This is one of my favorite dinners to make and one of my husband's favorite to eat! This is such a great dinner for a cool, fall night and it warms you up inside. It also has apples in it, making it even more perfect for fall. It starts with some chopping, but that is as hard as it gets. I start off by chopping carrots, bell pepper, celery, onion and granny smith apples.



I used one yellow and one green bell pepper but it doesn't really matter what varieties you use just as long as they make it in. I peeled the carrots and the apples and chopped everything up to about the same size. I like this curry better when the veggies are chopped to a smaller size but its really up to your preference. If you like bigger chunks of peppers but a fine dice of onion, go ahead. There is really no wrong way to do this. Here is a picture with a parring knife for comparison of my veggies all chopped up.


I like to get all my veggies chopped up and ready to go first. Then I cut up a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts (There were 3 big chicken breasts in my pack and this was plenty). I browned the cut up chicken on medium high heat in a large pan with olive oil on the stove and added salt and pepper. When the chicken was browned, I added in all of the veggies and more salt and pepper.



When everything is in the pan, give it a good stir. Turn the heat down to medium and pop the lid on. Give it a stir every so often to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. While this is cooking away, it is a good time to get the spices around. Curry powder is readily available at the local grocery store and there are usually several varities. There are even hot and spicy curry powders for those who like a kick to their supper! This recipe takes curry powder, cumin, cinnamon and flour.



After about 10-15 minutes when the veggies and nice and tender and the chicken is throughly cooked, add all the spices and flour. Give it a good stir then add two cans of chicken broth. Each can is just shy of 2 cups. Give it another good stir to incorporate everything and add in 2 cups of perpared rice. I use a frozen brown rice that is all cooked and ready to use. There are two cups in the bag and I just dump it in frozen. Once the curry starts to bubble turn the heat way down and it is all ready to go!



I sprinkled mine with some dried parsley for a little color and garnish but it is also really good with a handful of chopped peanuts on top.

While walkng around the bakery section of the grocery store, I found this bread that advertised it goes well with chili and curry. It is called naan bread. It was a flat bread similar to pitas and it came two in a pack.




There was an original variety but I bought the garlic variety. It was VERY good and worked wonderful with the curry. I warmed it in a low oven for a few minutes and tore it into big pieces once I took it out. It was soft and tender but firm enough to be able to have spoonfuls of the curry piled on top of it. It also worked very well for wiping all of the extra sauce out of my bowl too! 

Chicken Curry

2 carrots
2 granny smith apples
2 bell peppers
3 stalks celery
1 onion
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp flour
2 14oz cans chicken broth
2 cups prepared rice
         (I use a prepared frozen brown rice but it is also a good opportunity to use a pint of cooked white rice leftover from chinese carryout)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Peel the carrots and apples and chop all the veggies and apples. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in olive oil over medium high heat. Once browned, add all the veggies and apples. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add more olive oil if needed. Stir and turn heat down to medium. Cover the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes until veggies are tender, stirring every few minutes. When veggies are tender, add all the spices and flour, stir to incorporate. Add chicken broth and prepared rice. Stir together and bring to a bubble. When curry bubbles, turn heat down to low and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment